The Company of Fifers & Drummers Junior Camp is an annual summer event for the youth in our community. Its purpose is to ensure that the tradition of fifing and drumming is passed down to the next generation and that the quality and scope of fifing and drumming continues to improve, expand, and prosper. This is accomplished through the use of instructional workshops that provide youth musicians with the tools needed to increase their knowledge in various aspects of fifing and drumming. All workshops are conducted in a friendly, open, and professional manner to provide a positive experience for all.
- Junior Camp is an educational outreach program of The Company of Fifers & Drummers, a non-profit organization formed in 1965 to perpetuate the historical significance and folk traditions of fife and drum music and to foster the spirit of fellowship among fifers and drummers everywhere.
- Camp is held Tuesday - Friday before the Deep River Ancient Muster or DRAM.
- Junior Camp comes to a close on Friday night when the Campers perform at the Deep River Tattoo.
- Campers may choose to study fife, snare drum, bass drum, or drum major at camp.
- Campers can audition to qualify for the Ensemble program which is designed to provide a more intense educational focus for musicians with more experience. Individuals qualifying for this sub-group will be given the challenge of playing specially written fife and drum solos that will be performed as part of the standpiece on Friday night.
- Junior Camp is an overnight camp. However, there is a day camper program available for those who do not wish to stay overnight at the camp. Spaces for the day camper program are limited.
- Junior camp is run by responsible, capable, and friendly chaperones and staff.
- There are comfortable, spacious classrooms, and ample outdoor practice space.
- Evening recreational activities and concerts are held each day, with a goal of educating the campers about different music genres and immersing them in the fife and drum community.
- Campers work hard, but make lifelong friendships and memories with other young fifers and drummers from around the country.
- Campers learn new music written or arranged each year for the camp.
- The week is full of instruction, mentorship, and community building with accomplished adult fifers and drummers.
- Performance at the famous Deep River Ancient Muster Tattoo allows campers to showcase their camp accomplishments.
- Musical selections tailored to the ability of the campers allows a variety of levels to participate fully in the performance, which will also include a small ensemble for the Ensemble musicians.
- Standpieces will be available online, and participants are encouraged to practice prior to camp.
- Instructional program focuses on the improvement of playing and performance skills as well as music-reading ability.
The Company of Fifers & Drummers Junior Fife and Drum Camp is held at the Incarnation Center, Ivoryton, Connecticut.